Monday, May 21, 2007

gotta do what you gotta do...

Today we went to former Mayor Rudy Giuliani’s Press conference in New York City. We arrived with the clear assumption it would be properly lit for television. Guliani is after all running for President of the United States, and it would be in his best interest to look as good as possible on TV and in print. Right….? The big reception room was dark, really dark.
After coming to the realization that we weren’t getting any lights, with 9db gain and a wide open lens, and less than 10 minutes to kickoff, I made my move. I pulled out my trusty Litepanel with batterypack and in front of about 20 TV crews and roughly the same amount of still photographers I went up to the podium. With some gaffers tape, and about 30 seconds of work it was done… I almost got a standing ovation when I made it back to the "camera row".